Tuesday, June 29, 2004

2 Teen Books

I don't feel like writing complete reviews for the books I read yesterday, but I did read 2 teenage books. One, Big Mouth & Ugly Girl by Joyce Carol Oates was an interesting school about Ursula, a straight A student who plays three sports and does art, and about her alter-ego, Ugly Girl who does things that Ursula would never imagine doing. She gets into moods (red= happy, black=sad) When she gets in a black or inky mood she has to distract herself by doing other things. She finds out something about a boy, Matt Donaghy, who is accused of a horrible crime. They become friends and save each other. It wasn't too much like a typical teen book, so Final Grade: 4 stars.

The other book I read was the third in a quartet (the library didn't have the first 2) called The Black Book: Diary of a Teenage Stud, Vol. III: Run, Jonah, Run by Jonah Black. It was supposed to represent an actual journal that just happened to get published. This was interesting because it was written from a guys perspective, as a growing number of teen books are. Apparently the literary community is trying to give girls a glimpse of the other half of the world.

In this book, the main character Jonah has "fallen in love" with a girl he knew at boarding school and because of this, he stops dating his best friend. His younger sister is going to college, Harvard I might add, before him because she skipped a grade and he got held back because he got expelled from his old school, and there's a mystery girl who talks to him online, hwo seems perfect for him. Basically, he's got a lot of problems. This was quick read, and it was a bit redundant because Jonah just keeps saying the same things over and over again. Final Grade: 3.1 stars.

1 Comments:

At June 29, 2004 at 9:48 PM, Blogger ad said...

Hmm...I didn't like Mouth/Girl that much, I read it last year. I thought that it was really overemotional w/o all of the exaggeration that's *supposed* to come w/ books, like we read knowing that the character is overreacting (like Holden). But it came out as too pretentious for me.

I've seen the second book, but never checked it out (the title, perhaps?!) I suppose it's probably more realistic because people are always redundant when they're ranting. It just takes longer to read about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home